Why is Reading Important?
Reading is a fundamental skill. It is fundamental to function in today’s society. Reading is an important factor in becoming all that you can be. Reading can help you become all that you can be and it is one of the most important ingredients to helping you realize your dreams and reach your goals in life. Learning to read helps us survive in the world by reading many kinds of things. Books give us a lot of information. Reading is one of the most important skills you can teach a child.
Through reading children learn about people, places, and events outside their own experiences. They are exposed to ways of life, ideas and beliefs aboutthe world which may be different from those which surround them. A child’s reading skills are important to their success in school. Reading help children to do better in all school subjects and to be better students.
The Following Are Some of the Benefits of Reading:
- Reading is important to children of all ages because they need to use reading to learn all of their other subjects in school. Without strong reading skills, children may struggle in math, science, social studies and even the arts.
- Good reading skills improve spelling.
- Reading lays a foundation for a child’s success in school and in everyday life.
- Reading exposes children to new vocabulary and improves a child’s vocabulary.Reading opens up the door for all kinds of new words for the young reader.
- Reading also improves a child’s ability to write well. This is because children learn new words as they read, but also because they unconsciously absorb information as they read. Reading new words will put them in the child’s mind for later use.
- Reading is important because it develops your mind. The mind is a muscle. It needs exercise, and reading exercises our brains. Understanding the written word is one way the mind grows in its ability.
- Children develop a more positive attitude and confidence when they learn how to read. As young students learn how to read, they develop an “I Can” attitude.As the reading skills of struggling readers improve, they also develop a positive more confident attitude and feel like “they can.”
- Reading empowers children. It gives them one of the most powerful tools they need to succeed.
- Reading create opportunities for academic growth and success.
- Reading gives you the ability to learn from the best and smartest people from all over the world.
- Reading takes you places you may never visit. Reading provides a door into the world around you. It teaches children about the world around them.
Third grade is the crucial year when students make the leap from LEARNING TO READ TO READING TO LEARN.
According to the National Institute for Literacy, the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, and the U.S. Department of Education,
“When children learn to read in early grades, they are more likely to become better learners throughout their school years and beyond.”
Read More to Become a Better Reader
Children who read often and widely get better at it. This is because practice makes perfect in everything we do, including reading. So practice, practice, and practice! To become a great reader, you have to read. Reading and writing support each other.
“You learn to write better by reading. You learn to read better by writing. Reading and writing work together to improve your ability to think!” - Unknown
The more a child reads, the better reader he or she will become. Reading consistently is one of the most effective ways for children to become strong readers.